Troutbeck is still a small village, filled with farms and traditional barns, most with their own springs or wells. These border a narrow lane, lined with the dry-stone walks typical of this area. Many of the houses and cottages are interesting buildings, particularly the 17th Century Townend Yeoman’s Farmhouse. This is a National Trust property, displaying many of the 17th Century artefacts which would have been in use when the farm was first built. Prior to the Trust’s ownership, which dates from 1943, the farm had belonged to the Browne family throughout its existence. Other buildings have mullioned windows and interesting chimneys.
Although designated a conservation area, Troutbeck is little more than a straggling hamlet, between Windermere and Ambleside, largely neglected by the tourist trade. Indeed, this makes it more attractive for those wishing to get away from it all. There is a post office which sells drinks, but little more in the way of amenities. However this is ideal hiking country and many well-known walks pass through the village, which is the starting point for the walk along High Street along the nine mile long range to Brougham.
The church lies at the lower end of the village and was rebuilt in the 18th Century. It has a window dating from in 1873 by Edward Burne-Jones, William Morris and Ford Madox Brown. The Mortal Man is a 17th Century Inn at the northern end of the village.
Close by is the Kirkstone Pass, a four mile climb from the village, with a rewarding inn at the head of the pass. Troutbeck bridge is at one end of the village and spans the Trout Beck, after which the place is named.