In spite of its rapid development during the Industrial Revolution, Caldbeck remains an attractive village today. Many of the mill buildings and other signs of the old industries have been renovated and it is easy to see signs of the past manufacture of wooden bobbins in addition to the other industries of lead and copper mining, sheep and arable farming.
The village church of St Kentigern, better known as Mungo, dates from the 12th Century, although there is little remaining of the original edifice. Most of the present day building dates from the 19th Century. It is here that one of the Lake District’s most famous sons is buried. “D’ye ken John Peel?” asked the song and the tombstone of the man answers, with its ornate decorations of hunting paraphernalia and even a representation of the huntsman’s faithful hound. He was buried here in 1854. Another gravestone belongs to reputedly the most beautiful maiden of her day in Buttermere.
Caldbeck is not far from Carlisle, but features some of the best walking country to be found. High Pike is to the south of the village and there are wonderful views from the summit. Priest’s Mill, with its chequered industrial history, is now a museum with a working water wheel and sluice gate in the summer months.